challenge: Provide superior levels of uptime, offer data efficiency technologies, seamless integration and high-reliability all while being affordable.
The Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts & Design at Drexel University has about 2,200 unique users at any given time – 2,000 full-time students and about 200 faculty and staff across eight different campus buildings. They needed high availability storage to support collaboration of digital images, video, and animation. Their IT infrastructure had to support various platforms as 85% of the users are Mac with the remainder Windows based users.
The College’s legacy storage systems were unreliable at best. They would drop or lose active directory support on a regular basis. Rebooting the system wouldn’t always work, or it would cause other problems that needed to be fixed. Their legacy storage system was highly sensitive to data center temperature fluctuations and would consistently have hardware failures when the data center temperature reached 82 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition, anytime the data center temperature reached 82 degrees Fahrenheit, drives would blow on a consistent basis – and in the same position within the array. The college was needing additional storage capacity and their current system could not expand. Only thick provisioning was supported, so significant amounts of usable capacity weren’t being fully leveraged.
- Drexel University needed storage that could run at superior levels of uptime, offer thin provisioning, provide full service for active directory systems and applications, operate seamlessly within the College’s cross-platform environment and deliver all of this at a minimal cost.
- Nexsan NST5000
- 32TB storage capacity
- Quad core processor with 12GB of DRAM
- FASTierTM caching with 100GB SSD Dual controllers Turnkey deployment; went from delivery to in production in just 10 business days
- Zero active directory issues while the system has been in production. This has eliminated all related maintenance and recovery work that the College used to have to do – and even better, it has eliminated the worry that IT employees and end users had previously about the operation of their IT system
- Stable, uptime operations
- Thin provisioning has accommodated users better
- Imation support team has exceeded expectations
- Snapshot capabilities have recovered valuable user data
After a while, the College decided it would source and purchase new storage.
It required a solution that could:
- Run at superior levels of uptime
- Offer data efficiency technologies such as thin provisioning, so that storage volumes could take full advantage of the system’s usable capacity and storage space wouldn’t be wasted
- Provide full service for active directory systems and applications
- Operate seamlessly within the College’s cross-platform environment, to ensure high availability collaboration for all users
- Deliver all of the above features and capabilities at a low total cost of ownership
The support that Imation has provided has been really phenomenal. They helped us solve problems that have nothing to do with Nexsan; we didn’t know where else to go, but their support team helped us anyway. It was really terrific.
Jay Rappaport, Drexel University