challenge: Provide maximum TBs per dollar in a redundant environment while offering very high performance
- 40TB of data
- NST Hybrid Storage
- Nexsan E-Series™ underlying storage
NEXSAN NST BENEFITS
- FASTier™ acceleration technology uses a modest amount of solid-state to greatly enhance overall storage performance
- Enterprise-class reliability and fault tolerance
- NFS/CIFS shared folders
- Synchronous/Asynchronous Replication
- Quotas and thin provisioning
- SSD accelerated NL-SAS, SAS and
- SATA drives
- Active Directory and LDAP integration
NEXSAN NST5000 DELIVERS
- Exceptional Performance and Capacity –FASTier acceleration technology greatly enhances random I/O performance for virtual and cloud environments. The NST eliminates difficult performance vs. capacity trade-offs that characterize flash-only storage.
- Streamlined Setup and Management – A revolutionary GUI streamlines setup and management, and has been designed to deploy in under 15 minutes.
- Ease-of-Use – The management console boasts some of the most advanced ease-of-use functionality in a Hybrid Storage system.
- Operational Efficiency – Delivers industry-leading storage density and power management with up to 3X the density at up to 85% energy savings.
- Affordability – NST delivers leading cost-per-IOP and leading cost-per-TB.
DTS recognized that in order to enhance productivity it needed to improve access to the information collected by consolidating the highly distributed data from its mobile collection systems into a single repository. This would also allow its Mobile Asset Collection (MAC) team to more efficiently manage and maintain the integrity of the data. The company operates a number of survey vehicles, each equipped with several cameras, GPS and Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) technologies and laser pavement scanning systems to collect information about right-of-way assets, pavement condition and sewage/storm-water features.
DTS selected the NST Hybrid Storage system to unify its distributed storage environment. The organization has roughly 30 full-time users in the office with up to 15 additional temporary workers on hand to perform data extraction and analysis as government contracts require. They are an entirely Windows-based office, and all users connect to the NST by way of CIFS shares. The NST storage system currently holds 40TB with the ability to expand up to 720TB of capacity. The system has been deployed with SATA drives and is primarily used as the central storage vault for the MAC team. Once stored on the NST, data is moved to work stations for processing and extraction. The finished data is then returned to the Nexsan system.
“The data, both raw and processed, takes up huge amounts of space,” commented Ryan Francoforte, an asset management Project Manager with Data Transfer Solutions. “We needed a way to deal with this situation, but within a narrow budget. Essentially, we needed to get maximum TBs per dollar in a redundant environment while offering very high performance.”
We knew that the Nexsan storage system would give DTS the full range of capabilities, reliable performance and storage density needed at an affordable price.
Doug Cole, Owner, LH Computer Systems