challenge: Provide a cost effective virtual storage for production data in VMware environment as well as secondary storage for backup and disaster recovery
With mounting volumes of data to protect, the Corona-Norco Unified School District was increasingly concerned with its existing Fibre Channel-based storage infrastructure and associated high cost per terabyte. The school district needed a more cost effective way to provide virtual storage for production data in their VMware environment as well as secondary storage for backup and disaster recovery. Compounding the challenge was the district’s need to optimize depleting rack space while lowering overall power consumption to further reduce costs.
With vital school production data to securely store, such as Exchange email and district databases, the IT staff for the Corona-Norco Unified School District began to seek an iSCSI-based solution that would conserve power and rack space while offering the enterprise-class performance and reliability they needed.
“With data center space at a premium, storage system density is also important to us,” said Brian Troudy, Network Manager, Corona-Norco Unified School District. “The Nexsan E60TM offers 60 drives in a mere 4U of rack space, which provides much greater density compared to alternatives. Furthermore, we can populate the system with a mix of SAS and SATA drives to align storage performance with application requirements.”
NEXSAN E60 BENEFITS
- High performance to support virtual storage requirements
- Reduced energy costs up to 87%
- Tiered storage using SAS and SATA drives in the same system
- Three active drawers for easy servicing
- iSCSI and Fibre Channel host connectivity
NEXSAN E60 DELIVERS
- Extreme density – supporting up to 60 drives in a single unit, the E60 easily stores up to 240TB in 4U of data.
- High reliability and performance – the E60 features blazing wire-speed read/write throughput and high IOPS performance for data intensive requirements.
- Unprecedented energy savings – the E60 offers the exclusive Nexsan AutoMAID™ Level 5 technology for up to 87% reduction in power consumption without performance compromise.
The E60 is a powerful system that is ideal for our multi-purpose storage environment. We have always been impressed by their price, ease of use and power savings capabilities.
Brian Troudy, Network Manager: Corona-Norco Unified School District