CPUC’s storage infrastructure serves the entire agency and its 1,500 users. Every user has different storage needs, so CPUC needed to build out a network that could accommodate different policies according to the various needs of its users.
Due to its large, diverse user base and a lack of an official data retention policy, CPUC’s infrastructure grew to become inefficient and disorganized. High-value data was stored in various places throughout the environment, backup times increased on a regular basis and file duplicates were prevalent and hard to identify. Consequently, it wasn’t easy to ensure that the agency’s high-value data was protected and safeguarded from internal or external threats.
In summary, CPUC needed a storage system that could:
- Accommodate various users’ storage requirements.
- Identify proper files, particularly containing high-value data.
- Guarantee the integrity of all files in the system.
- Automate archiving and deduplication processes.
- Manage the long-term retention of files.
- Securely encrypt each individual file while “at rest” and “in flight.”
“Assureon decreased our backup time by at least four hours; we are no longer backing up our file servers using traditional backup, and we let Assureon do its job. The product saves us time and money since we no longer use tapes for our file servers.”
Albert Fuller, IT Manager at CPUC